Amendment A would legalize the recreational use of marijuana for individuals 21 years old and older. Individuals would be allowed to possess or distribute up to one ounce of marijuana. The amendment would require the South Dakota State Legislature to pass laws providing for a program for medical marijuana and the sale of hemp by April 1, 2022.
Online Resources for additional information on Amendment A
- Statement for the South Dakota Catholic Conference: Oppose Constitutional Amendment A
- The Bishop’s Bulletin: Ballot Measures to Consider for 2020
- National Catholic Register: To Puff or Not to Puff NEWS ANALYSIS: Catholic experts weigh in on the morality of legalized marijuana.
- The Catholic Spirit (MN): Recreational marijuana: Consider first the common good
- North Dakota Catholic Conference opposed to recreational marijuana
- Michigan Catholic Conference opposed recreational marijuana
- Catholic World Report: Marijuana: A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
- Catholic Medical Association journal article: A Virtue Analysis of Recreational Marijuana Use.